Cross-platform GUI

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 10 12:48:23 EST 2006

Quoting Bob Hunter <catdogbeloved at yahoo.com>:

> KDE is built on top of Qt. If my earlier notes on
> xwidgets were not sufficiently motivating, you may
> consider dropping gtk in favour of Qt, based on
> explicit hints that linus(x) uses Qt-based KDE as gui.
> Now, using Qt would allow not only to run gnucash
> under KDE, but also to run it under windows, osx, and
> sun ... natively, compiling from the same source code,
> that is, you could finally deliver binaries of
> gnucash, not only for linux, but also for the major
> commercial systems, thus boosting drammatically the
> user base.

Gtk also have ports to Mac and Windows, so we already have
support for Linux/Unix, MacOS, and Windows.  We could ALREADY
deliver binaries for those platforms (well, not Windows, yet,
but we're working on that)..   The problem isn't the ability,
but rather the time it takes to build and test those packages.
It has NOTHING to do with the underlying technology.

> I also posted a note on how to get money, in case you
> need to hire more developers, or pay the existing ones
> for that matter.

Okay, get us that first $100-250k and then we'll talk.

> I would really like to read "Yes, after thorough
> consideration we decided to port gnucash to Qt and
> deliver binaries for all the major platforms. To boost
> the community of developers we also decided to open a
> PayPal account. Thank you for your useful
> recommendations and for your time".

We already have a PayPal account.  We've had a paypal account
for a couple years, now.  The current balance in that account
is approximately $2k.

But after thorough consideration I think that the chance of
porting gnucash to Qt is about as high as you winning the
lottery and funding said development.