Problems with custom invoice

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 20 17:54:37 EST 2006

Quoting Chris Dennis <cgdennis at btinternet.com>:

> OK, I'll continue this in -devel.
>
> You should use
>> (gnc:owner-get-name-and-address-dep owner) as the API to
>> obtain the owner's name and address.
>
> I am using that -- I didn't make that clear.

Okay...

>>> Is there a way to access the client contact name on an invoice?  I can't
>>> find one despite much Googling.
>>
>> Of course..  All the other invoices do it :)  Perhaps you're not
>> pulling off the invoice's owner?
>
> They don't seem to -- the standard 'fancy invoice' in GC2.0.2 doesn't
> display the client contact name from the billing address.  It did in
> 1.8.10.  For example, if the Edit Customer window looks like this:

I know nothing about the Fancy Invoice; that report was donated to
the project.  The Printable Invoice, however, does it just fine, even
in 2.0.x, so the code clearly works.  It's possible, however, that the
Fancy Invoice does something differently than the Printable Invoice.
I don't know.

>     Identifcation
>      Customer Number: 000123
>      Company Name:    Bloggs and Co
>     Billing Address
>      Name:            Mr Fred Bloggs
>      Address:         1 The Street
> 	              The Town
>                       etc.
>
> the invoice only shows this:
>
>     Bloggs and Co
>     1 The Street
>     The Town
>
> without 'Mr Fred Bloggs'.

Well, either the Invoice has no attached customer, or there's a bug.

>>> The other problem that I've just noticed is an invoice where the payment
>>> is added to the balance instead of subtracted:
> (That problem seems to have gone away now -- maybe it was a particular
> invoice that it occurred with).
>>> <snip>

Weird...

> But the other issue is the fonts used on the final printed invoice (or
> on the print preview), which don't match those *displayed* by the Print
> Report menu item.  The display uses the sans-serif fonts selected in my
> Gnome configuration, but the invoice (all invoices, not just my
> customised ones) prints with a serif font.

This is a known problem...  It's unclear if it's GnuCash or GtkHTML or
some combination of the two.  I believe Andreas did some research and found
a place where GnuCash does hard-code a report font, so it's possible that
this is the problem.  Search the -devel archives for his message.  If you
find a patch that fixes it please send it in.