Price quote in GnuCash win32. Does it work?

zhimin at iss.nus.edu.sg zhimin at iss.nus.edu.sg
Sun Nov 26 07:34:53 EST 2006

Hello,

Thanks for the wonderful software.

Has anyone tried the live price quote in GnuCash win32? Does it work?

I have compiled GnuCash win32 successfully according to the wiki. To
enable the live price quote, I have run gnc-fq-update successfully. To run
gnc-fq-update successfully, I have installed Activeperl 5.8 separately.
The activeperl 5.6 that comes with msys-DTK cannot complete gnc-fq-update,
because it will give the compilation error below:

cc1.exe: error: unrecognized command line option "-fnative-struct"

After running gnc-fq-update with Activeperl 5.8, I can run gnc-fq-dump and
gnc-fq-helper at shell to get quote without problem. But when I come to
Add New Security Editor screen
<http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/figures/invest_newsecuri
ty.png>, the Quote Source Information check box is disabled, and the label
"Warning: Finance::Quote is not installed properly" is displayed.   What's
wrong?

When I exit from Gnucash, I also get this in the command prompt:

gnucash: [E] "Failed to fork child process."

And Chris Shoemaker posted in <
http://www.mail-archive.com/gnucash-devel@gnucash.org/msg16609.html> that
it is related to price-quote retrieval and guile in win32.

Does this mean Finance::Quote fail to load in GnuCash because of guile
problem? Does this mean live price quote won't work at all in GnuCash
win32?
Is there anyway to use live price quote in GnuCash win32?

Thank you.

cheers,
zhimin