On make check, undefined symbol error: qof_string_number_compare_func

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Oct 2 09:36:59 EDT 2006

Hi all,

with the current SVN-trunk, r14920, I get on "make check" this:

make  check-TESTS
make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/chs/org/gnucash/trunk/src/network-utils/test'
/home/chs/org/gnucash/trunk/src/network-utils/test/.libs/lt-test-link-module:
symbol lookup
error: /home/chs/org/gnucash/trunk/src/engine/.libs/libgncmod-engine.so.0:
undefined symbol: qof_string_number_compare_func
FAIL: test-link-module
  testing network-utils module load ...   ok
PASS: test-load-module
1 of 2 tests failed
Please report to gnucash-devel at gnucash.org

and similar error messages in many further directories. I *thought* this means
at check-runtime, the linker cannot find libgncqof.so (which is where
qof_string_number_compare_func is defined). If this is the cause of the
error, then we need to add the location of libgncqof.so to the check
environment. Attached is a patch that would do this for all places where make
check gave this error.

However, I'm quite confused about whether this is the correct fix, or whether
something else is wrong. I thought there were many other functions from
libqof already being referenced, so I thought it should have been found
before as well. Or maybe before, the linker only found the libgncqof.so which
happens to be installed in /usr/lib (there is one from branch-2.0)? If that
were the case, then indeed we need to apply the attached patch so that the
tests run with the currently built libgncqof.so instead of a potentially
installed one.

Christian