packaging and config params

Kevin Broderick gnucash at kevinbroderick.com
Thu Oct 5 16:03:02 EDT 2006

On 5 Oct 2006, at 3:32 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Quoting Kevin Broderick <gnucash at kevinbroderick.com>:

>>> Um..  "make" should never touch /sw -- it shouldn't "install"
>>> anything.
>>> Only "make install" should.  If "make" is actually touching the
>>> install tree it's a MAJOR bug, but I doubt that's what's going on.
>>> More likely you're not conveying to me the fink process and it's
>>> actually doing a "make install"..
>>
>> Not exactly.  See the fink build process description at <http://
>> fink.sourceforge.net/doc/packaging/reference.php?phpLang=en#build>
>>
>> (Which, AFAIK, should be correct; however, I've never tried
>> packaging  anything for fink, so AFAIK may not get you very far.)
>
> Ummm..  After reading this page I'm still convinced I'm right, and
> indeed
> the first section implies that, yes, it IS exactly..  The "compile
> phase"
> is where you run the configure script and then run "make".  This part
> should not touch anything in /sw (well... it'll touch the fink
> builddir:
> /sw/src/fink.build/gnucash-2.0.1-1 but that really doesn't count).
>
> Then inthe "install phase" it should only touch the temporary
> install dir:
> /sw/src/fink.build/root-gnucash-2.0.1-1/sw/

I think I misread and/or misunderstood some of the original
discussion, and I agree with your interpretation of the documentation.

>>> Perhaps I don't understand fink.  Doesn't fink build a .deb and then
>>> install the .deb?
>>
>> That is correct.  Fink supports both install from source and
>> install  from binary; in the case of the former, it builds a DEB
>> locally and  then installs it.  However, there is an install
>> process during the  build process that differs from the install
>> step following the build  process (according to the aforementioned
>> fink docs).
>
> What?  "install step during the build process" and "install step
> following the build process"??  That makes no sence to me.  Perhaps
> what you mean is that there is the "make install" during the build
> process,
> and then "dpkg install" to install the binary package, and that
> those two
> steps differ?

Yes.  By "install process during the build process", I was referring
to the "install phase" of the build process (as it is referred to at
the fink doc); by "install step following the build process", I meant
the "dpkg install" step.

--Kevin