SWIGification status, Part 2

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Mon Oct 9 22:18:23 EDT 2006

Devs and Testers,
        The swig-redo branch has a swigified GnuCash.  I've
smoke-tested it, but it needs some more exercise.  Several steps in
the process were pretty manual and error-prone.  Fortunately, the type
of bugs I'm most likely to have introduced are very easy to fix.
        The whole process went pretty smoothly except for one
horrendous bug that killed many, many hours.  (Giving guile a NULL
when it expects an SCM_UNDEFINED will eventually bite you, perhaps
sometime in the distant future and in the bowels of the garbage
collector.)
        I'm even more impressed with SWIG's flexibility than I
previously was, and I've continued to receive good support from
swig-user.
        I expect there are some gwrap-specific tests that still have
to be disabled, and probably some dist-check related errors, but
otherwise, it's ready to be stress-tested.
        I hope it will get some review/comments in the swig-redo
branch, but I hope it can be merged to trunk for wider testing soon.
        If you notice any regressions from trunk please send them
here.

-chris