Cross-platform GUI

Dave Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 17 14:44:39 EDT 2006

Bob Hunter wrote:
> ... I forgot to mention that the gnucash package at
> Fink has no maintainer, and the latest available
> version is 1.8:
>
> http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/nomaintainer.php
>
> This means that we *users*, at large, are unable to
> run the latest version on osx, unless you make the
> binary available. ;-)

Fink has a couple shadow maintainers for gnucash. bmaret did the lion's
share of work on making a new .info file, and now I'm pounding away at
getting modern versions of the dependencies submitted (finance-quote
1.12 made it last week, libofx 0.8.2 became available this afternoon).
ktoblzcheck went in for validation last night, and next are gwenhywfar
and aqbanking (which I'm much more familiar with). At that point I can
have the main fink devels evaluate my mods to bmaret's experimental info
file. I will most likely end up as the official maintainer (yikes!) of
gnucash. I think gnucash 2.0.2 might be available in fink unstable in a
week or two. I don't know how long it takes to migrate to the binary
tree (mostly, I think it takes several people confirming that it works
on both PPC and Intel Macs).

Possible delay is that yahoo broke the finance-quotehist build again
(third time this year). I haven't heard from upstream about getting the
tests fixed for that.

Happily, with the new(?) fink policy workaround, neither gnucash nor its
dependencies end up in crypto, because they can build against and  link
to the Apple supplied openssl files. That makes binary distribution much
easier.

Now, wasn't that much easier than waiting for anyone to completely redo
a GUI?

Dave
--
David Reiser