Cross-platform GUI

Guillaume Lessard glessard at tffenterprises.com
Thu Oct 19 09:10:50 EDT 2006

--On 19 octobre 2006 02:18:01 -0700 Bob Hunter <catdogbeloved at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Installing gnucash via DarwinPorts requires space and
> time for compiling the source code of all the required
> libraries. True, the process is guided and automatic,
> but I just cannot afford re-building the world of
> linux under osx just to run gnucash under X11+GTK.

>From no macports to a macports distribution with a full gnucash built, it
takes about 7 hours on my 4-year-old mac (and it was slow when it was new).
Note that all user interaction is over after about 20 minutes.

Can't your computer work while you sleep? Just one night?

> Installing gnucash via Fink is more reasonable,
> because the components are distributed in binary form.

Not to start a religious argument, but fink is fragilized by its
binary-distribution requirement. That makes the whole project move much
more slowly, because it's less stable than if build systems weren't
circumvented. I stopped using fink because of the glacial pace of change.
(The other side of the coin is that macports upgrades like to fail, but
rebuilding everything takes only one night, so I don't mind!)

--
Guillaume Lessard
glessard at tffenterprises.com