SQL backend for GnuCash 2

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Oct 22 11:16:52 EDT 2006

Quoting Graham Leggett <minfrin at sharp.fm>:

> Phil Longstaff wrote:
>
>> 1) target SQLite, PostgreSQL or MySQL directly in a QOF back end, or
>> 2) target libdbi or another such layer (how many data layers do we
>> want?) which would give us all three (SQList, PostgreSQL and MySQL
>> immediately), or
>> 3) target ODBC using iODBC which would give us even more databases we
>> could connect to.
>
> The Apache portable runtime project has a database abstraction layer
> with support for a number of databases. Ideally database support
> should be abstracted in some fashion so the end user isn't tied into
> a single implementation.

While I agree that we should really use a DB Abstraction, I think DBI or GDA
are sufficient.  I think adding APR to our dependency mix wouldn't provide
much added value (over just using libdbi or libgda), and could be a licensing
issue.

But I do think we all agree that unless there are some DB-specific APIs
that truely add significant value that we should just use one of the existing
DB abstraction libraries.

Thanks for your input!