SQL backend for GnuCash 2

Daniel Espinosa esodan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 13:30:24 EDT 2006

2006/10/22, Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org>:
> On Sat, 2006-10-21 at 22:56 -0400, Phil Longstaff wrote:
> > 1) target SQLite, PostgreSQL or MySQL directly in a QOF back end, or
> > 2) target libdbi or another such layer (how many data layers do we
> > want?) which would give us all three (SQList, PostgreSQL and MySQL
> > immediately), or
> > 3) target ODBC using iODBC which would give us even more databases we
> > could connect to.
> >
> > Is there any current vision for database use?  Of the 3 databases I've
> > listed, I've only used MySQL.  SQLite would remove the need for an
> > external db server, though embedded MySQL would also remove this.
>
> (2)/(3) is preferrable to (1), unless there's a *really* compelling
> reason why we'd want to target a specific database.  It's hard to
> believe any db-specific feature would be more compelling than working
> against different dbs, though.
>
> libgda is another option; it seems to support ODBC as well
> (<http://www.gnome-db.org/Providers_status>).
>
> We'd at least want to support sqlite and either PG or MySQL; the former
> for the "I just want a data-file" crowd, and the latter for the "I want
> to connect to a DataBase" group.  I think leaning towards the former
> group is not unreasonable.
>

> A good starting point for development would be to post an 80% idea of
> the DB schema, as well as posting the legwork on constrating/comparing
> libdbi and libgda so a decision can be made.  Ultimately, of course,
> we'll need a new QOF backend... you can look at the existing PG backend
> (and file (XML) backend) as examples.
>
> There's another individual who's come around to
> <irc://irc.gnome.org/gnucash> in the last month who's working along
> similar lines; maybe he'll speak up here...

Yes I was asking for too...

I don't start to study the code in GnuCash, I don't have idea where
you start, may I'll start creating a set of tables where you store the
GC's data: accounts, commodities, and so, and propouse ideas in how to
access them (queries)...

With that in mind I could start the discusion in the implementation
using the actual capabilities in GC...

Of course I love to GC have a DB (SQLite, PostgreSQL, MySQL or any gda
support) and develop external apps that could query data from them and
show in applets in the desktop or quick Forms (they are just ideas,
and the first task is to give GC a DB support).

"de grano en grano, se hace la arena" (R) (entrámite, pero para los
cuates: LIBRE)