Compiling GnuCash on Windows

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Oct 29 15:15:28 EST 2006

Am Sonntag, 29. Oktober 2006 16:52 schrieb Brian Blatnik:
> OK, thanks for your help, got it installed. :-)

Very cool; thanks for the info.

> But it seems to crash on any operation involving the Windows file system:

I'd like to hear whether these things work, in case you have some time to
check them in detail:
- Creating a new file (with default account hierarchy)
- Creating more accounts in that file
- Adding transactions to these accounts
- running reports, particularly "account summary", "income statement",
"balance sheet"
- Changing some preferences (are these preserved when shutting down (without
crashing) and starting again?)

> Also, in the command prompt window is the following:
>
> gnucash: [E] "Failed to fork child process."

This is probably because gnucash tries to save the file in compressed form,
which requires a separate gzip process that won't work on windows. In short,
in the preferences please uncheck the checkbox under General -> File ->
Compress file. Does saving work, then?

> Is there a way to generate a backtrace in Windows?

Yes, if you install gdb. It's available somewhere on mingw.org. Then you need
to modify the gnucash startup script so that it calls gdb instead of
gnucash.exe. Then, in gdb you start gnucash by "run". This is explained in
the file HACKING as well.

Thanks a lot,

Christian