(AUDIT?) Re: r14892 - gnucash/trunk - Add a new QOF_TYPE_NUMSTRING to add numeric sorts. (#150799).

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 26 09:19:12 EDT 2006

Quoting Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:

> What about...?
>
> 3) Leave sorting out of the type-system altogether and sort only in
> the view.  Save the sort preference in GConf.  (BTW, that's how it
> works in all the GtkTreeModel/View pairs, including on the
> register-rewrite branch.)

That doesn't work with SQL backends when you want to return a subset of
the responses.   For example, if I wanted to do something like:

  select * from Split where <...> order by <...> limit 10;

In this case, the "order by" clause is important in the underlying
query.    If you don't get the 'order by' correct then you'll get
the "wrong" objects returned, which probably isn't what you want.
Either that or you need to full working copy of all your data
in core, which can get very expensive in large data sets.