GObject in GC implementation Plan

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 4 10:13:36 EDT 2007

"Daniel Espinosa" <esodan at gmail.com> writes:

>> > You need to remove g_free and the end of the object destruction, and
>> > keep qof_instance_release to call there g_object_unref.
>>
>> Why?   Why do we still need qof_instance_release()?  Can't that
>> work be done in the finalize() call of the GObject?
>>
>> I would think that we could just change g_free() to g_object_unref()
>> and let the qof_instance_release() code get executed from within the
>> unref calls.  Is this NOT the case?  Why wouldn't that work?

Daniel, could you please answer this question.  I do want to make
sure that I'm not missing something.

>> My next commit to the branch will convert QofInstance to actually
>> using GObject, but this will break the build until I get everything
>> converted.
>>

> THANKS! If you're working on this project is great and way to advance
> more quickly.

Indeed.  Take a look at my work so far:

http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/log/gnucash/branches/gobject-engine-dev-warlord

You'll need to follow the link to the originating branch for my
first few commits.  I put the branch in the wrong place at first.
But take a look.  I required very few changes to actually get
QofInstance to use GObject directly..  I required a few more
changes for QofBook and to get the interactions to work, but once
I got those worked out I got libqof to build pretty quickly.

> But you know more about QOF that any other in the project; you need to
> try to do the changes your selft and find why it's so dificult and
> maybe a lossed time to work in convert QOF in a PURE GObject over
> time.

I still don't think it's as difficult as you think, which is why
I'm doing it myself to PROVE to you that I'm right.

> I don't think this is necessary or required, I think this is a
> convenient way to go.
>
> See my next email about the new library.

I agree with Josh in reply to this idea.  I think it's a waste of
your time.  It's adding an abstraction that we just don't need.