2.1.0 Release

Nathan Buchanan nbinont at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 21:51:35 EDT 2007

On 4/15/07, Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> wrote:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> thanks for the quick reaction - however, the release process used to be
> centered around the source-only packages. Now that we want to provide
> windows
> binaries (and you have thankfully volunteered to build them), we obviously
> need to change or adjust the process. So that's what we need to figure
> out.
>
> Am Sonntag, 15. April 2007 06:57 schrieb Nathan Buchanan:
> > Hi Chris!
> >
> > Just saw that you released 2.1.0 (unstable). I'm thinking I better add
> some
> > windows binaries for this too. (because in all honesty, most windows
> users
> > probably won't have a clue what to do with tar.gz / tar.bz2 files)
>
> Absolutely. We (the devs) were hoping we could provide a windows binary
> for
> each of the 2.1.x releases and any of the following.

can do.

> What revision did you use?
>
> Just to explain the options that you have to look this up yourself: Are
> you
> subscribed to the mailing list gnucash-patches? There you'd see the commit
> message where the version number has been changed to 2.1.0 (in this case,
> it
> was r15892). You can browse the recent commits as well at
> http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/timeline and see which one modified the file
> gnucash/trunk/configure.in

Thanks, this works. I'm not subscribed, but the archives work ok for this.

Ideally we would have copied the revision that was released to a separate
> tags/ directory which you would then see under
> http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/browser/gnucash/tags ; however, this time this
> hasn't happened so far (but you can see e.g. the subdirectory for 2.0.5
> there)
>
> Also ideally Andreas Köhler was hoping to adjust the install.sh script so
> that
> it automatically retrieves the SVN sources exactly from the point of
> release
> (probably through the respective tags/ as well); however, he hasn't been
> able
> to finish this in time.

ok

> Do you expect to update the source files you released often?
>
> The schedule for further release should be at
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Release_Schedule ; once a tarball is released
> (from a respective SVN revision), we don't plan to change this. If there
> is a
> major error, we don't change the tarball but rather release a new version
> number.
>
> > I guess I'm really asking how we normally do things, as
> > I'm still getting the hang of things. (I eventually should get the
> script
> > to build from a tarball)
>
> Absolutely. As I said, the old release process hasn't included a win32
> binary,
> so it needs to be adjusted. Feel free to explain how it would be easiest
> for

Thanks for all the details. I think It makes the most sense for me to follow
the source releases (though this may be delayed by a day or two)

Nathan