tutorial on multi-currency accounting

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 18 01:57:51 EDT 2007

Quoting Mike Alexander <mta at umich.edu>:

> I attached a new patch to 131623.  As I said in the comments on the
> attachment, it also includes an option to turn off computation of
> unrealized gains entirely.  This is needed with the changes to use
> commodity trading accounts since those accounts record unrealized gains
> and the balance sheet report shouldn't compute them if trading accounts
> are being used.  Having the option in without trading account support
> may be a bit confusing but shouldn't hurt anything and this way I know
> the patch works.

I'm really not sure I agree with the concept of trading accounts.
I think it just confuses the issue even more.   How about "hidden"
equivalences?  Instead of balancing it in a Split, per se, we balance
it in a KVP?  That way:

1) it's not visible
2) you always know which pseudo-split is the auto-balance split
3) you dont add additional accounts
4) did I say "it's not visible" yet?
5) it doesn't add additional splits to the transaction that could just
   confuse the user.

I really think "trading accounts" is the WRONG approach for this problem.