tutorial on multi-currency accounting

Guillaume Lessard glessard at tffenterprises.com
Thu Apr 19 13:28:21 EDT 2007

--On April 18, 2007 1:57:51 -0400 Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> I really think "trading accounts" is the WRONG approach for this problem.
>
> -derek

For what it's worth, if I actually used multiple currencies on a regular
basis I would have given up on GnuCash within the trial time I had allotted
for it. When I hit those bugs I assumed that within 3 years those problems
would get solved! What serious accounting package wants to mandate a
single-currency life?

Mike's solution is correct (very important). It is usable (important). It
might even be good.

GnuCash currently has an ungood and uncorrect solution for people that
actually use multiple currencies. It feels like they're treated like a
stock holding. Treating foreign currencies like a stocks or funds omits the
very important function of currency for doing things like buying stuff.
Since I have, in fact, bought stuff using foreign currency and entered it
in GnuCash, my books are condemned to imbalance until a correct solution is
implemented.

If Mike's solution isn't to be adopted, where is the alternative?
(I need one.)

Cheers,

--
Guillaume Lessard