shell files in packaging/win32 better with extensions

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Apr 26 15:55:40 EDT 2007

Am Donnerstag, 26. April 2007 11:21 schrieb Andreas Köhler:
> > > just today I got my new WinXP Laptop and I started to use the
> > > gnucash-on-windows build again. So far everything runs fine - with one
> > > exception: When initially downloading the content of packaging/win32,
> > > the
> > > fact that some files don't have an extension really confuses Windows. I
> > > ended
> > > up with "defaults.htm" instead of "defaults", and "functions" the same.
> >
> > Is this truly a windows problem? Firefox under linux does the same thing
> > (when downloading from trac)...how are you downloading these files?
>
> Maybe it is a Firefox phenomenon to mimick The Internet Explorer.
> Personally, I hesitate to rename those files again, especially because
> I do not want to promote them as please-run-me-shell-scripts.
> Do you think this is a major issue?

Yes, indeed I think it is an issue. Our instructions in the wiki (rightfully)
just say you should "download each file of the directory win32", and if
people follow these instructions, with many browsers they will end up with
defaults.htm instead of defaults.

Whereas the questions whether "foo.sh" motivates people to try running those
IMHO is a rather minor issue. I'd vote for a renaming.

Christian