Intro + a bug

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Tue Aug 7 21:18:45 EDT 2007

Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> writes:
>>There are two approaches to book closing:
>>

> Maybe stop right there. As soon as there appear to be difficulties with the
> "only" approaches step back one level of the process and maybe more
> alternatives will appear.

I wasn't really saying there were "difficulties" with either.  Or, really, that
those were the "only" approaches, though I did use the definite article.

Of course, looking at the idealized solution is a good idea...

> In other words, what must "close the books" DO. Let's consider what an
[...]
> OK -- accountants reading this, what have I left out of the "close the books"
> process? (I am not an accountant). Consider all the "options" which would be

This is closer to what I outlined as the first option, and what I believe we
think of as the "right" way to do it.

I mention the second option because it's far simpler to implement, and still
solves a valid use-case for many people: keeping tidy, small files for the
current accounting period, allowing that historical information would be in a
separate datafile.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}