GnuCash 2.1.2 directions

Wm Stewart wstewart at livinginternet.com
Tue Aug 28 15:30:38 EDT 2007

Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> I'm still wondering WHY it's always trying to contact 68.142.91.87.
>> What's so special about that IP Address?
>
> I just installed my freshly built gnucash-2.2.1 on Centos-5.  While
> installing gnucash-docs, it tries to contact xml DTD repositories.
> Is that what is happening on windows?

I honestly don't know, but don't think so, since this has to do with
configuration settings.  I think someone smarter than me needs to find some
Windows machines without gnucash installed, and run and trap the access as
closely as possible, ideally to code that can be read.  When your firewall
asks you whether to allow the external connection, the application freezes
at that point until it gets a response - are there analyzers that could
tell what code was running at that point?

I'm concerned because there is no notification of the access and without a
good external firewall most people would not know about it, and as per the
bug trail if the external access is not allowed then the configuration
settings and application aren't usable -- for example the installer will
not work on Internet disconnected computers because the external
communication is a requirement of operation.

__