new to gnucash and I need to create a stable development environment

Fredrick O Jackson fredrick.o.jackson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 00:19:31 EST 2007

Hello,

I am new to developing on gnucash, so new in fact that I cannot seem to
accomplish anything whatsoever. I need some basic advice on how to develop a
custom invoice format. I am a user of debian and will package the customized
version of gnucash in order that it can be installed on other debian systems.

simply put, I create a source tree with 'apt-get source gnucash', I then
modify a source file or two, I then build with 'debuild'. I then modify
another source file and then try to build again. this fails. What must I do
to rebuild a source tree?

While I am not an expert in building debian packages, i feel certain that
building a source tree into a package should be repeatable. I cannot seem to
get gnucash to build (debuild) more than once. I get errors shown at the
bottom of this message.
thanks in advance for any help!
Fred

rm -rf `find . -type d -name ".deps"`
rm -f  `find . -type l -name "gnucash"`
rm -f  `find . -type l -name "g-wrapped"`
rm -f  `find . -type l -name "goffice"`
rm -f  `find . -type l -name "gsf"`
rm -f src/report/report-gnome/report src/register/register-core/register
src/import-export/binary-import/import-export
# -rm doc/sgml/*/gnucash/help-search-index.db doc-tools/dbadd
# -rm src/gnome/gnucash src/gnome/g-wrapped doc/sgml/C/help-search-index.db
rm doc/sgml/C/help-search-index.db
rm: cannot remove `doc/sgml/C/help-search-index.db': No such file or directory
make: [clean] Error 1 (ignored)
dh_clean
 dpkg-source -b gnucash-2.2.1
dpkg-source: building gnucash using existing gnucash_2.2.1.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: building gnucash in gnucash_2.2.1-1.diff.gz
dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'libtool' will not be
represented in diff
dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'intltool-merge' will not be
represented in diff
dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'make-gnucash-potfiles' will not
be represented in diff
dpkg-source: warning: newly created empty file 'po/stamp-it' will not be
represented in diff
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to
src/report/report-system/gnucash/report/report-system.scm:
dpkg-source:  new version is symlink
dpkg-source:  old version is nonexistent
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to
src/report/report-gnome/gnucash/report/report-gnome.scm:
dpkg-source:  new version is symlink
dpkg-source:  old version is nonexistent
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to src/engine/gnucash/engine.scm:
dpkg-source:  new version is symlink
dpkg-source:  old version is nonexistent
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to
src/business/dialog-tax-table/gnucash/dialog-tax-table.scm:
dpkg-source:  new version is symlink
dpkg-source:  old version is nonexistent
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to
src/business/business-gnome/gnucash/business-gnome.scm:
dpkg-source:  new version is symlink
dpkg-source:  old version is nonexistent
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to
src/business/business-core/gnucash/business-core.scm:
dpkg-source:  new version is symlink
dpkg-source:  old version is nonexistent
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to
src/gnome-utils/gnucash/gnome-utils.scm:
dpkg-source:  new version is symlink
dpkg-source:  old version is nonexistent
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to src/core-utils/gnucash/core-utils.scm:
dpkg-source:  new version is symlink
dpkg-source:  old version is nonexistent
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to src/app-utils/gnucash/app-utils.scm:
dpkg-source:  new version is symlink
dpkg-source:  old version is nonexistent
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to src/gnc-module/gnucash/gnc-module.scm:
dpkg-source:  new version is symlink
dpkg-source:  old version is nonexistent
dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'make-gnucash-patch' will not be
represented in diff
dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'intltool-extract' will not be
represented in diff
dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'doc/gnc-prices.1' will not be
represented in diff
dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'doc/gnucash.1' will not be
represented in diff
dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'intltool-update' will not be
represented in diff
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file po/gnucash.pot
dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file
src/engine/iso-4217-currencies.c
dpkg-source: building gnucash in gnucash_2.2.1-1.dsc
dpkg-source: unrepresentable changes to source
debuild: fatal error at line 1237:
dpkg-source -b gnucash-2.2.1 failed