Translation Display

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Dec 9 16:34:10 EST 2007

Am Sonntag, 9. Dezember 2007 17:45 schrieb Andreas Köhler:
> > I need my menus to display in English. I am running a Japanese version of
> > Windows Home XP, so GNU Cash displays itself in Japanese by default. I'd
> > like to be able to select what language I use the program in,

Just to answer the question the other way round: We are very sorry, but the
libraries we're using for language translations won't (easily) enable us to
offer the user a language selection dialog while the program is running.

> > but even
> > after reading documentation and many forums, I can't figure out how. If
> > you can let me know that would be great. THanks
>
> just find $prefix\bin\gnucash.bat and insert
> set LANG=C
> before the the last line (start...).
> en_US instead of C should work as well.  I do not know whether there is
> something like en_JP.

What Andreas explained here is this: Instead of selecting some menu entry in a
dialog, the only way to currently change the used translation is to edit the
file "gnucash.bat" in a text editor and insert the mentioned line

 set LANG=C

as the second-to-last line in that file. Sorry for the inconvenience. On the
upside, you can select between many different languages here; LANG=en_GB
might be interesting as well.

Regards,

Christian