r16624 - gnucash/trunk - Remove the spurious m4/ directory. Use macros/ instead.

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue Dec 11 15:05:11 EST 2007

Am Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2007 20:32 schrieb Graham Leggett:
> Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> writes:
> >> The whole point of cmake is that it will perform all those
> >> platform-checks (more precisely: host and target checks) which used to
> >> be done by the autoconf-generated shell scripts which nobody was able to
> >> understand. But the price for this is that cmake is required to be
> >> installed on the host.
>
> I am with Derek on this one. Autoconf is mature, works on a long list of
> platforms, and does the job.
>
> What will cmake do, apart from restrict the build to fewer systems?

I'm sorry, but the last part is some FUD that doesn't need to be redistributed
any further. The KDE project explicitly states that already very early into
the migration to cmake, it built on more platforms than it ever did with
autotools.

People might say that autotools itself might run on way more platforms than
cmake does. Well, this might be true, but of course it doesn't say anything
about whether the project that uses autotools will run on all these
platforms. Usually it won't. Hence, the question is not the number of
platforms where the build system runs - the question rather is: Does the
build system make it easy for the application to support more platforms? The
build system running on that platform is a necessary prerequisite, but not at
all sufficient. In terms of KDE, obviously cmake made it easier to extend KDE
to more platforms than before. In my experience with cmake, I can fully agree
to this.

Christian