potentially using cmake (was: Re: r16624 - gnucash/trunk - Remove the spurious m4/ directory.)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 11 21:34:47 EST 2007

Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> writes:

>> What's the motivation for migrating?
>
> Curiosity.

Always a good motivator. ;)

> Really, there isn't any hard reason for gnucash *right now* to consider an
> immediate switchover from the autotools build system to cmake. *But* in the
> long run we might want to support yet more platforms and/or compilers, and
> *if* we want to do that, it might be worth to do this with cmake instead of
> autotools because most probably it will be way easier there. ("Extreme"
> example: Building gnucash with Microsoft MSVC compiler. If anyone wanted to
> do this, with cmake it would come almost for free, whereas with autotools it
> is impossible.)
[snip]
> Whatever. As I said, my mention of cmake is mostly because of personal
> curiosity, and some long-term advantages it would give. But it's nothing that
> becomes important for gnucash in the short run.

That's fine.  Honestly, I'm just coming from the "if it aint broke
don't fix it" camp.  Considering there are many many bugs in the
DB, I just question the effort.  But of course you can do whatever
makes you happy and interested. :)