RFC: A "book-close dialog" to help auto-zeroize all Inc/Exp accounts

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Dec 23 13:42:46 EST 2007

Hi,

I decided to spend some time this weekend on a simple dialog to
help you zero-ize your income and expense accounts.  I've come
up with a dialog that effective looks like this (please excuse the
ASCII Art but I don't want to have to write the code to actually
fill in the dialog yet):

  |                +------------------------+   |
  | Close Date:    | 12/31/2007            <|   |
  |                +------------------------+   |
  |                +------------------------+   |
  | Income Total:  | Equity:Retained E| New |   |
  |                +------------------------+   |
  |                +------------------------+   |
  | Expense Total: | Equity:Retained E| New |   |
  |                +------------------------+   |
  | +--------+              +--------+  +----+  |
  | |  Help  |              | Cancel |  | OK |  |
  | +--------+              +--------+  +----+  |

Is there anything else needed for this?

The idea is that it would iterate over all Income accounts and put the
account balance summary as of [Date] as a single transaction to the
[Income Total] account..  Repeat the process for Expense accounts and
put it into the [Expense Total] account.

Any quick feedback would be useful.  Please follow-up to
gnucash-devel (I've set up the headers so that direct replies
to this message SHOULD go there).

Thanks,