xgettext deficiency?

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Mon Dec 24 03:23:17 EST 2007

To: Translation Project list, GnuCash devel. list

Origin: my report on msgid errors in the gnucash-2.2.1 PO file.

I think it's worth following this up.

On 24/12/2007, at 8:44 AM, Christian Stimming wrote:

>> 9.
>> #.Translators: This string should not have shown up in
>> #.gnucash.pot as it is looked up in the "gtk20" translation
>> #.domain. You can safely ignore this string and leave it
>> #.untranslated.
>> #: ../src/gnome-utils/gnc-dense-cal.c:443
>> msgid "calendar:week_start:0"
>>
>> If this is obsolete, please remove it. Otherwise, it will confuse
>> translators.
>
> Well, as Derek said: The string is looked up in gtk20's translation
> domain. If
> you look into the source file, you'll notice the dgettext() call
> around it.
> In a way, the fact that it shows up in gnucash.pot is a technical
> deficiency
> of the xgettext program. We can't do anything about that.

Bruno, is this something that persists in the current gettext? If so,
do we need to report it specifically to get it fixed?

I don't know what type of deficiency is involved: what extra
information do you need?

Thankyou for any help you can offer with this. :)

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n