testing the book zeroing code (maybe for backport?)

Tim Wunder tim at thewunders.org
Thu Dec 27 22:23:55 EST 2007

On Wednesday 26 December 2007 05:21:06 pm Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over this weekend I implemented a simple book closing feature
> that lets you zeroize the Income and Expense accounts into
> Equity.  It's comprised of changesets r16713, 16714, and 16715.
> It's only impemented in the trunk branch at the moment.
>
> Please test and comment and let me know if you find any problems with
> it.  If it works well and doesn't have many issues maybe we can get it
> into 2.2.3 or 2.2.4.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -derek

Couple things:
* it'd be nice to have some sort of feedback to the user that something is
happening. How hard would it be to add a progress bar or something?
* I noticed that one of my expense accounts was not configured as an expense
account, so it was skipped. I then re-ran the book close program only to find
out that not only did the revised account get closed out, a second closing
transaction was added to the other accounts. This is probably because I chose
a future date (12/31/07) for the close out. When I re-ran the close using
that future date, gnc didn't see the pre-existing zeroing out transaction on
12/31/07.
* It'd be nice if the dialog would remember the previous entires for the date,
income and expense accounts.
* It might also be a good idea for the user to be presented with a review
dialog with suitable warning about book closing. Something like "This will
create a zeroing transaction for all your income and expense accounts as of
$DATE_SELECTED" with the obligatory OK/CANCEL buttons.
*If gnucash can remember the last book close date, a warning could be
displayed if the book close is within say 30 days of the last close, telling
the user something like "You just closed the books on $LAST_CLOSE_DATE,
num_days ago. Are you sure you want to close the books again?"

But it looks like a great start to a useful feechur. Thanks, Derek!

Tim
--
Fedora Core release 6 (Zod), Linux 2.6.22.14-72.fc6
KDE: 3.5.8-1 Fedora