QIF importer bug in GC 2.2.2 - split transactions

whamblen at northstar.dartmouth.edu whamblen at northstar.dartmouth.edu
Mon Dec 31 13:11:22 EST 2007

Hi,

I think it'll be easier to explain with a little context.  I have
hundreds of paycheck entries in Quicken 2004 each of which is a split
transaction that has (among other things) two transfers from a checking
account to a retirement account: one for the employee's contribution and
one for the employer's matching contribution.  These are for the same
amount, between the same accounts, with only the memo field different.

The importer seems to remove these Quicken account <-> Quicken account
transfers from the split and put them into new separate GC transactions.
That part is fine (actually I wish it wouldn't but the account balances
are still correct).  The Quicken account <-> Quicken category transfers
remain in a GC split transaction.  The problem is that one of the
retirement transfers *also* stays in the GC split transaction.  In other
words, where we originally had two transfers from checking to retirement
we now have three.

The problem disappears if the amounts are different.  The memo field
doesn't seem to change anything (in fact it gets attached to the wrong
part of the split but I vaguely remember seeing that bug/feature already
reported).

Anyway, I created a sample QIF file (attached) that demonstrates the
behavior.  I didn't see anything in bugzilla but there are an awful lot
of importer bugs :-) and I may have missed it.  I'm quite happy to file
a bug report if people think this is a real and not a dupe.  I'm most
interested in a more immediate workaround if anybody has ideas: either
on the Quicken end or via a patch to the importer or even just a pointer
to where in the source I should look.

Thanks in advance,

  - Bill