Recommendations on managing inventory

Shocky shocky1 at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 9 12:52:13 EST 2007

I need a simple FIFO perpetual inventory system for a home-based business.

Ideally, I would like it to be integrated with gnucash, since I'm planning to
use it for all the other accounting. Has anyone done any work in this
direction, even experimentally?

I'm an experienced developer, but not (unfortunately) in the free software or
open source areas. I have a lot of Common Lisp experience, so I think I
should be able to pick up guile easy enough, it it's possible to do most or
all of it that way (I don't know any of the gnucash internals yet). So I'm
considering building it myself, but if someone can give me a head start that
would be great. Everything I develop would be contributed back to the
community of course.

Alternatively, can any one recommend a non-gnucash solution? It's not so many
transactions that I can't transfer the data manually, at least for now. Or
possibly generate transactions to be loaded into gnucash. I've considered
creating something myself using postgresql.

The problem in all of this is that I've let is slide due to other priorities,
and now I have to pull it together by the end of June (tax filing deadling),
working on it part time. This is in Canada, so even for small businesses the
tax preparation itself is not onerous if you know what you're doing (which I
do), as long as all of the bookkeeping is up to date (which is where the
problem is).

Any and all suggestions and pointers welcome.

Shocky
--
These are my opinions. Get your own.