logging overhaul (please read)

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Fri Feb 9 16:51:40 EST 2007

Am Freitag, 9. Februar 2007 18:38 schrieb Josh Sled:
> In short, on the surface, you *should* only notice:
>
> - a change in the format in /tmp/gnucash.trace
> - more output from make check
> - maybe a *bit* more output from the app
> - the disabling of --loglevel (with replacement; see below)

Great! Thanks a lot.

> The option "--loglevel" is presently disabled; is it used enough to
> bring back, or can people just say <--log ""=whatever>?

I'd suggest to have *one* option that can be used by the average Joe Linux
user which will increase logging to a useful value (maybe INFO). I don't know
whether --debug is used currently - that one would be a useful candidate.

Judging from the bugzilla reports, it happens quite often that if the
medium-experienced users discover a bug, they look for a command line option
that will give them "just a little bit more debug output". So I think one
such option for medium-experienced users would be helpful.

This can of course be completely orthogonal to the developer's fine-tuned
command line options.

> The space-based indentation as per ENTER/LEAVE has been disabled.
> Before, the {in,de}dent calls were conditional on qof_log_check, but
> that no longer exists.  I'm pretty sure it can fit back in by creating
> two new log levels... but I'd like to hear feedback first?  I personally
> don't find it useful, but I think others do, and it's a pretty big
> regression.

I don't find this useful, too. But others do.

> - remove TRACE, DETAIL, DEBUGCMD, calls to qof_check_log

Absolutely. The five levels of glib are completely enough. Usually people
don't distinguish more than 3 levels anyway...

No more questions? Ok, thanks for this feature cleanup.

Christian