libtool problem on OS X

Jeff Carneal jeff-ml at soldmy.net
Sat Feb 10 09:09:49 EST 2007

On Feb 9, 2007, at 4:20 PM, Dave Reiser wrote:

> Jeff Carneal wrote:
>> Well, I do appreciate you trying anyway.
>> I ended up blasting my macports install and installing all the
>> gnu  build tools by hand to /usr/local (where the rest of my stuff
>> is) and  it stopped the problem below.
>> Now though I am getting the following error.  Any thoughts on how
>> to  fix it?
>> I've got a couple of reproducible crashes on the 2.0.4 version
>> and  I'll take a look at fixing those once I get this svn version
>> compiled.
>> Jeff
> [big snip]
>> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
>
> I'm pretty sure this is the classic case of Apple has a program
> named libtool (which I think ships in /usr/bin) that has absolutely
> nothing to do with the libtool _everybody_ else uses. That's where
> the glibtool substitution comes in.

Righto, I noticed that about a minute after I posted, sorry.

Still, I'm having trouble forcing it to use gnu libtool.  Bear in
mind that I've axed /opt and I've installed all gnu build tools to /
usr/local manually.  But as far as libtool goes, my build appears to
be the same as that for macports:

diff /usr/local/bin/libtool /opt.del/local/bin/glibtool -- produces
no output

Ok, so I tried the following with the following results:

1)  specifying /usr/local/bin/libtool in autogen.sh

Then ./autogen.sh -> ./configure -> make results in the same error I
posted in my previous message, complete with the line about /usr/bin/
libtool.  Hrmph.

2)  sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/libtool /usr/bin/libtool

Ok, let's get nasty about it then and make SURE the native mac
libtool isn't used.  ./autogen.sh -> ./configure -> make results
results in the following:

make[3]: Entering directory `/Volumes/500GB-1S/src/gnucash/gnucash/
lib/libc'
/bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc  -Werror -Wdeclaration-
after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g  -g  -Wall -
Wunused -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations  -Wno-unused  -g -
o libc-missing.la   libc-missing-noop.lo  -lpopt -lm  -lm
rm -fr  .libs/libc-missing.a
ar cru .libs/libc-missing.a .libs/libc-missing-noop.o
ranlib: unrecognized option `-q'
Try `ranlib --help' for more information.
ar: internal ranlib command failed

Evidently 'ranlib' is a symlink to /usr/bin/libtool which now points
to my glibtool which does not have an option -q.  So while I'm sure I
can hack in a '-q' to my glibtool, I think it's much more likely that
I'm missing something.

Someone please enlighten me because I'm feelin pretty dumb over here.

Jeff