A coding challenge wants you

"Andreas Köhler" andi5.py at gmx.net
Sun Feb 11 20:06:26 EST 2007

Hi folks,

some of you might have noticed that GnuCash is going strong to add Windows
as supported platform.  As you can see at [1], the top item on our todo
priority queue is to make GnuCash read and write compressed data files.
The porting here is not trivial, because the current code uses fork(2),
a concept not available on Windows.  The parent process just writes|reads
to|from the child process which uses libz to (de)compress the data.

There is some consensus that a threaded solution might solve this issue
nicely.  But none of the core developers seems to work on that right now.
Maybe someone searching for a way to contribute back wants to step in.
Note that you do not need to actually run Windows, because the work will
probably mostly be on the GLib level.  Technical support will be
included :)

IMHO, this can be a good non-trivial problem for getting involved.

-- andi5

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows#Todo

PS1: I, myself, am just not capable enough.
PS2: If this sort of "announcements" is not wanted, just tell me.