ChangeLog

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 21 20:06:58 EST 2007

Quoting Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb at becket.net>:

> There is a reason the GNU Coding Standards call for ChangeLogs.  It's so
> that people who have the source can use them to understand the source.
> It's a crucial form of documentation.
>
> Since 2.0.2, gnucash has apparently stopped keeping useful changelogs.
> This is a serious annoyance.  Can you please start, once again, keeping
> changelogs that correctly identify the names of files and functions
> changed, at the very least?!

We've decided to use Subversion logs in lieu of explicit ChangeLog
entries.  The reason for this choice is that merging branches (or
even just merging changesets!) rarely can be done without user
intervention when you have explicit ChangeLogs.

As of 2.2 the plan is to automate the ChangeLog entries as part
of "make dist".  This still wont have the per-file information you
seem to want, but I believe the format does have revision numbers
which allows for easily looking up the information in Trac.