Slightly smarter date parsing?

harold felton hfelton_lists at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 8 15:15:09 EST 2007

>  I thought this should be
>different, so I dove into the gnucash code and changed qof_scan_date
>slightly to choose the last year for December if the current month is
>January.  The patch is attached.
>

>I asked on #gnucash and it was suggested that I bring it here since
>there may be some debate.

i have not used the program yet - only compiled it - but
if i get a vote it would be for change.  preference if possible,
but the "rule" i would use is :

if date-within-1-month, then guess-the-year
if date-greater-than-1-month, then assume-current-year
if date-equal-1-month, then throw-an-error-and-quit
(sorry...  that was a joke ;-) )

note - that i meant that in positive AND negative sense,
but then again i am not writing any code...  just voting.

getting this correct in all places would be easier if there
is only one-central-location where dates are "guessed".
if that is not the case, then always assume current-year.

also, before writing these changes - id recommend a
test-suite that would allow us to confirm the dates
are working as expected.  of course, that is just my
soapbox - so ill step off of it now...  :)