Check Printing - Addresses

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 2 16:43:31 EDT 2007

Andrew Sackville-West <ajswest at mindspring.com> writes:

> ISTM that there are a number of situations where this issue comes up
> with gnucash: "we don't know which split is the one to use for
> <purpose x>". I guess it comes up in sched-x a bit and in other places
> where the display of information is not necessarily done in a way that
> people would expect. For example, a check with two splits: from
> the data's perspective, no split is more important than any other. And
> I think that's as it should be. And for most uses, its totally
> appropriate. BUt for check printing, or deciding which split to
> display in a register-neutral situation like displaying scheduled
> transactions before commit, the splits do matter, at least
> somewhat. In the check situation its obvious: the one that matters is
> the "local" one; the one that relates to the checking account.

What's the definition of "primary split"?  Is it the first split you
create?  Is it the first split tied to the account register?  What
about for transactions created through other methods, like the transfer
dialog or an importer -- which split is "primary"?

> What is to prevent adding a "Primary split" field to transactions?
> just a boolean associated with each split that is set true for one and
> only one split in any transaction. Its something that could be ignored
> in almost every situation, but in those handful where the ambiguity is
> a problem. Then for check printing, you^Wone could figure out a way to
> tie splits to addressbook entries and the like and in that situation a
> "primary" split would be helpful. It could also be arbitrarily done:
> the primary split is the one that ties back to the register used to
> originally enter the transaction. If you want it different, you have
> to change it.
>
> there could be a series of gnc:transaction-get-primary-split type of
> functions etc.

I still don't see how the "primary split" is useful.