Auto-Saving implemented in r16227 (to become 2.1.5) - Feedback wanted

Beth Leonard beth at oasis.slimy.com
Tue Jul 3 19:02:32 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 01:50:30PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Unfortunately the way GnuCash/QOF works makes this sort of autosave
> process very difficult to implement.  QOF tries to make it's data look
> like a "database", not a "data file", so it really does abstract out
> these things.

Gnucash does have a "save as..." menu item.  Is it possible for the
autosave to hook into that set of calls, insead of the save in order
to implement the logic Eric outlines below?  I do like that logic for
auto-save functionality.  If this is difficult, allowing
the user to turn off auto-save is sufficient.
--Beth

> "Eric Ladner" <eric.ladner at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Kind of like how 'vi' does it too.   Here's the rough logic...
> >
> > (on startup)
> > if (alternate file exists)
> >   // something went wrong..  prompt user for option of reloading saved
> > checkpoint
> >   if (user says yes)
> >      load checkpoint
> >   else
> >      delete file
> >
> > (timed) save to alternate file
> > if (user saves file)
> >    delete checkpoint
> >
> > (on exit)
> > if (not saved)
> >    prompt user to save
> >    if (user says yes)
> >        save file
> > delete checkpoint
> >
> > That way, you're not saving over the "official" data file, but saving to an
> > alternate file that always has the same name (<account>.ckpt" maybe).  When
> > and you can restore to that checkpoint, or just load the original file
> > (rollback all the way to last session).
>
> -derek
>
> --

Beth Leonard