Re (IRC): 2.2.0 and auto-save

John P. New jnew at hazelden.ca
Thu Jul 5 11:23:11 EDT 2007

Speaking strictly as a user of GnuCash, I like the current auto-save as
implemented i.e. save-to-working-file; thanks, Christian!

I've never played around with a GnuCash file, decided I didn't like the
changes and closed without saving (but strangely enough, I do that with other
programs), but that's just me. I guess if I were intending to "play" with my
data file, I would either disable the auto-save or work on a backup copy of
the file (the latter probably the safer choice). On the other hand, I can see
the benefits of a save-to-checkpoint-file.

But, if I could put in my 2 cents, whatever the developers decide, please:

1) inform the user of any change in behaviour that could adversely affect
their data file (similar to Chris Shoemaker's option #4) , and
2) decide which method to use (save-to-working-file or
save-to-checkpoint-file) and stick with it. Nothing annoys me more than a
too-frequently-changing data file behaviour. If the developers are uncertain
as to which method will ultimately become permanent, I would say disable the
feature for 2.2.0

John New