data file differences in 2.2

Kevin HaleBoyes kcboyes at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 20:18:36 EDT 2007

Moved from -users.

--- Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> These questions deserve to be on gnucash-devel, not gnucash-user,
> because they are all development level questions.  "Users" are
> not expected to look into the data file...
>
> "Hale Boyes, Kevin " <Kevin.HaleBoyes at encana.com> writes:
>
> > I've started to use 2.2 (on Fedora 7) and have noticed a change to
> > the saved data file that I didn't expect.  I simply open my 2.0 data
> > file with 2.2, save and exit.
> > ... snip ...
> > I also noticed that all my "top" level accounts (like Assets)
> > get re-parented by a new "Root Account".  Why was that done?
>
> Because we got rid of an internal AccountGroup structure.
>
> > I'm not using scheduled transaction so can I use this 2.2-saved data
> > file in version 2.0?
>
> Yes.

I tested it out - using a 2.2 saved file in the 2.0 version.  I noticed that the
display shows the Root account and it now prefixes all account names.
Visually not great but whatever.

I did notice one other thing.  2.0 doesn't know about the ROOT account type so it
changes the type to NO_TYPE.  I'm wondering how 2.2 will respond to that?  Haven't
tried it yet.

Thanks,
K.