Make fails in po directory

Daniel Smith dlsmith at rice.edu
Sat Jul 28 00:51:51 EDT 2007

I get this error when I run "./configure; make" on a fresh download
of 2.2.0.

Making all in po
cd .. \
   && CONFIG_FILES=po/Makefile.in CONFIG_HEADERS= CONFIG_LINKS= \
        /bin/sh ./config.status
config.status: creating po/Makefile.in
config.status: executing intltool commands
config.status: executing default-1 commands
config.status: executing po/stamp-it commands
file=`echo ca | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
   && rm -f $file &&  -o $file ca.po
/bin/sh: line 1: -o: command not found
make[2]: *** [ca.gmo] Error 127
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

I've built 2.1.5 via MacPorts, so all the dependencies should be
installed correctly (including gettext 0.16.1).  I have not built
manually (rather than via MacPorts) before, but I followed the
instructions on the Wiki (MacOSX/MacPortsDetail), and declared these
variables:

$ export CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/local/include"
$ export LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/lib"
$ export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/local/lib"

This looks like some environment variable is perhaps missing, but I
haven't been able to figure it out.  Any help would be appreciated.

My machine is a PowerBook G4 running OS X 10.4.10.

—Dan