What about release plans for 2.2.0?

Beth Leonard beth at oasis.slimy.com
Fri Jun 15 13:31:22 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 12:21:25PM +0200, Christian Stimming wrote:
> What do we do with our release plans for a 2.2.0 release? We planned  
> that release for the upcoming weekend [1], but currently the  
> development has slowed significantly. Even more importantly, the PR  
> Planning [2] has made almost zero progress, but we would need at least  
> a week of work there before we have enough PR material for the Windows  
> release.
> More thoughts? Decisions?
> I'm unsure, really. I'd prefer to have 2.2.0 by now, but I have to  
> admit I won't have much time dealing with Windows bugs after that. If  
> there is a majority to have 2.2.0 by now, I'd happily deal with the PR  
> work; however, if we prefer to delay it, then I'd also happily delay  
> the PR work as well.

Do we currently have any idea how many people are using the Windows
version?  Have all of the major use-cases been exercised by someone
who knows what they're doing?  If not, no matter when you release it,
I'd recommend advertising the release candidate Windows version to
the current user base and asking people who know how GnuCash is supposed
to work to try it under windows.  Do this before having a major PR
campaign to the news sources for the actual stable release. 

With luck, the bug reports that come in from the release candidate(s)
from the current user base will be helpful and reproducible, as opposed
to the type of bug reports one can imagine getting from the typical
windows user.  When those have been dealt with, then consider when to
release 2.2.0.

I know that announcements have been made to the user list, but they
haven't been "release candidates" yet.  When dealing with financial
data, many people don't like to make the switch until they're fairly
certain it's stable.

Ever thankful for all the work you do,
Beth Leonard

More information about the gnucash-devel mailing list