DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH problem

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 28 00:05:33 EDT 2007

This is more of a mac + fink interaction problem than a
straightforward bug, so I thought I'd bring it up here.

In the current state of 2.1.x, I can't run a standard fink-built
gnucash because setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH clobbers something which
goes looking for libjpeg in the wrong place at runtime (building
works with no complaints).

I can patch around it pretty easily by substituting
DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH for each instance of DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH. My
limited understanding of the difference is that the _fallback_ choice
adds the directory to the end of the search path and the other
prepends the directory to the front of the path.

When I brought up my situation among the fink folk, they opined that
setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is, in general a bad idea if there is any
way to avoid it. The first quick and dirty fix is the
DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH approach.

And Peter O'Gorman offered:

> Anyway, I don't believe that gnucash needs setting
> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH at runtime, dyld will use LD_LIBRARY_PATH for
> dlopen() if it is set, and libltdl will look at LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH,
> so as long as both of those are set, dlopen() and lt_dlopen()
> should work fine, for everything else the paths encoded into the
> binaries should be correct.
>
> So, remove DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH from the wrapper and try again, please.
>
> Peter
> --
> Peter O'Gorman

Does his suggestion sound easily doable? (If you tell me what he
means by removing it from (which) wrapper; and tell me how to make a
distribution tarball from my svn co, I can test it before it's
committed.)

I hate to admit it, but I still don't really understand wrappers much
at all...

Thanks.

Dave
--