Check Printing - Addresses

warlord at MIT.EDU warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 28 17:18:40 EDT 2007

hi,

Please remember to cc gnucash-devel on all your replies...

Quoting Francis Xavier Fitzpatrick Jr <fxfitz at udel.edu>:

> But wouldn't it be great if there was a place to store an address?
> It would make check printing much easier and more professional.
> For example, people would be able to send their checks with
> window envelopes.

"Professional" is in the eye of the beholder.  It would certainly
be more convenient for those users who have checks with space for
that (I happen not to be one of those users), but that has nothing
to do with being more professional.

> I've also found a site that it says that the implementation of it
> would be fairly simple. I don't know if the site was written by a
> developer, or just someone who uses gnucash. Here's the URL:
> http://linas.org/linux/gnucash/projects.html#check

Wow, that site's old!   Well, the check-printing HAS been re-written.
It wouldn't be TOO hard to add more check-printing fields; the problem
is storage of payee information (or tying into the Vendor subsystem).

> I would actually love to help out and contribute, however I'm
> just learning to program. i've only learned C and C++ at University
> of Delaware and frankly wouldn't have a clue about where to begin. :-P

Start by building gnucash from source.  The take a look at the new
check printing code (written all in C).  Then send in a patch.

-derek