tutorial on multi-currency accounting

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 7 09:48:56 EST 2007

Mike Alexander <mta at umich.edu> writes:

>>> - xaccTransScrubImbalance now scrubs the transaction two ways.  It
>>> makes sure the value is balanced, and it makes sure that the amounts
>>> balance separately for each commodity in the transaction.  This
>>> makes  capital gain splits as created by scrubbing lots unnecessary,
>>> although  existing capital gains splits won't hurt anything.

I'm trying to understand how do you this.  Let's say you have a simple
transaction:

   TXN(USD)       Debits     Credits
   Cash(USD)                 $100
   Cash(EUR)      EUR65

What would your scrubber do?  Note that there is no gain or loss in
this transaction by itself.  The gain/loss only occurs when I move
back to USD with a second transaction in the opposite direction.

>>> - gnc_split_register_get_debcred_entry shows the split amount
>>> instead  of the split value.  It also shows the commodity symbol
>>> unless the  commodity is the register's commodity or the split has
>>> the focus.
>>
>> I think it's likely that users will want to see both in some cases.
>> This is one of the things that is much easier with the register
>> rewrite.
>
> Yes, I agree, but that's more than I wanted to do now, especially with
> the rewrite under way.

When I first did this I was having trouble getting it to print the
symbol in non-focus but print without the symbol in focus.  And the
split was still printing the 'amount', not the 'value', but it was
always converting to the local (register) currency.   Still, I agree,
I think users might want (and NEED) to see (or modify) both the
amount and the value.