[Inquiry]GNUCash SoC - Implementing Undo

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Wed Mar 28 09:56:07 EDT 2007

I fully agree with Derek. The main reason someone would want to undo
an Import is that the Import was messed-up somehow - wrong account
created; wrong currency; wrong file imported, etc.

It does not make sense to undo the steps of an import one by one,
because those steps were not performed in any well-defined order.
There is no meaning from a user's point of view to undo "half" an
import or the "last" transaction of an import.

Moreover, there is no need to cherry-pick and undo individual
transactions of an import, because an import only creates
transactions, it does not modify them. So to revert some particular
transaction, the user can simply delete it.

Also keep in mind that the main reason for any "undo" feature is to be
able to drop all the "are you sure you want to do this" dialogs. The
philosophy is: let the user perform any operation they want, without
asking for confirmation, and if it isn't what they wanted, then they
can undo it easily. For this reason, it is customary and sufficient
that "undo" always undoes the *last* action performed, or perhaps the
last few.

The cherry-picking feature suggested by Ariel is an entirely different
feature that is in some sense orthogonal to "undo". While it might be
nice to be able to view the edit history of particular transactions,
and to "revert" a chosen transaction to an earlier state, I do not see
this as part of "undo"; actually, it is just another user action that
should itself be undoable.

"Redo" is not quite the same as "Undo twice", because by default,
doing "undo" twice should undo the last two actions, not undo and redo
the last action.

See the excellent discussion of an Undo design by Karl Chen on Feb 22
on this mailing list, and the ensuing thread until Feb 28.

-- Peter