[Inquiry]GNUCash SoC - Implementing Undo

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 28 14:51:31 EDT 2007

Quoting akintayo holder <blakdogg at gmail.com>:

>> Does any other app handle undo this way?  Why should gnucash be different?
>
>> What does gnumeric do when you undo a change not on the local workbook
>> page/tab?  We should do that.
> OpenOffice would jump to the scope of the last change, its Undos are global
> within the workbook/file. As does Gnumeric.
>
> I think Gnucash accounts are different from Gnumeric workbooks because with
> workbooks all the work is done in the workbook. If you were to create a
> chart from a spreadsheet that chart is usually part of the workbook that it
> is created from, while a report is usually not contained within the
> associated accounts. One could argue that a set of Gnucash books is
> equivalent to a work book, I wouldn't I see them as more akin to separate
> files. I say this because the typical spreadsheet deals with one problem,
> while Gnucash is broader.

See, I disagree.  I consider a gnucash Book (set of accounts) to be the same
as a gnumeric (or Excel, or OOo) spreadsheet/set-of-workbooks.  Each account
is akin is a single workbook, but it's really the set of accounts (and
other ancillary data) all shared within the same book that's one data file.

In other words, a data file is the unit of measure.  An excel/OOo/Gnumeric
datafile is akin to a GnuCash datafile.

So I think your analogy is correct, but I draw a different conclusion.