finance::quote finally working for me in Windows

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu May 3 11:14:35 EDT 2007

Andreas Köhler <andi5.py at gmx.net> writes:

>> Who installs perl/wperl?  Don't we?  Don't we SHIP perl as
>> part of our installer?
>
> The user.  We do NOT ship perl, whether ActivePerl or some other:
>
> * The MSI installer packages are 16 MB (or 8 MB for AP 5.6) in size.
> Avoids bloating the setup.exe unnecessarily (OK, Qt is much larger ;-))
> * Allow using a pre-installed ActivePerl
> * No need to think about licensing
> * No need to care about updating
>
> If there are cons for shipping ActivePerl other than "make it even
> easier than [1]", please tell me :-)

I don't see how "making it even easier" is a con.  That would be a
pro.   Now, I can see how reducing the size of the gnucash .exe,
not worrying about licensing, and no need to worry about updating
would all be cons, reasons NOT to ship perl...

How hard would it be for the installer to make perl optional, based
on whether it finds a working perl already on the system?  Yeah, the
setup.exe would still be larger but it would only install perl if
necessary.