Gnucash : Translation in french

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Fri May 18 15:26:54 EDT 2007

Am Freitag, 18. Mai 2007 11:26 schrieb François Sillard:
> Question :  do you intend to translate « gnucash » in french ? (software
> and documentation). If the aswer is yes, when do you intend to make it
> available ?
>
> Comment : I welcome the Windows version 2.1.1

Yes, we intend to have GnuCash translated into French as well. In fact, the
program itself has been translated (almost) completely into French already.
The French translation, along with German and many others (29 altogether), is
shipped with the Windows version already. The documentation is unfinished,
though.

For the program I know that the German translation works *just fine*, so in
principle the translation framework works correctly on Windows just as it
does on Unix.  If you don't see a French version, there is some problem in
your combination of Windows setup and Gnucash's translation setup. If you
want to help debugging this, I'd suggest you join IRC (explanation
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/IRC ) and answer some questions there.

> Offer : I can help for the translation in french (software and/or
> documentation). But maybe this work is already being done by other persons

See http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation for an overview. The program
itself is already almost fully translated; you can proof-read the translation
if you want, but you have to coordinate this with the existing translator,
Fabrice Kurz <kurzf at voila.fr>. BUT the documentation which consists of the
two documents "Help" and "Guide and Tutorial" is not at all translated. If
you are interested in working on this, read the second-to-last section on
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation ; it says the original text and your
translation should be done in the "DocBook" format. Some people said the
OpenOffice package has an add-on to read and write DocBook files. If you can
find this, install it and then you can directly edit the files as explained
on the wiki.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask them here on
gnucash-devel. We appreciate any contributions.

Regards,

Christian Stimming