register rewrite

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Mon May 21 10:48:06 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have tried the new register rewrite branch. It looks very nice; many
thanks to Chris.

I have a few minor comments and suggestions.

* numbers in the register view should be right-aligned

* it would be nice if the transactions were sorted by date by
  default; the current default seems to be random order?

* a useful feature would be if double-clicking on the words
  "-- Split Transaction --" split the transaction, and double-clicking
  on a transfer account opened that account.

* in the "debit" and "credit" column in split transaction view, I
  would like to see that amount, and not the value, of each split.
  This is more transparent for multi-currency transactions. (I.e., it
  is more useful to know that you have exchanged CAD 40 for AUD 50,
  than that you have exchanged CAD 40 for CAD 40 in an AUD account).

* in the "price" column, the display of exchange rates as rational
  numbers (1 + 971 / 4118) is mathematically accurate, but not very
  user friendly.  Since it's a derived quantity anyway (not stored
  separately by the engine), I am not sure why that extra accuracy is
  needed. Perhaps 4 decimal digits would suffice?

* the old "edit exchange rate" button is still there, but does not
  seem to do anything. It would be nice if it still worked (so one
  does not have to display the Amt/Val/Price columns at all times.

* keyboard entry in the account view leads to characters being typed
  into a little box at the bottom right of the corner. It looks like
  it's meant to be a search function, but it doesn't do anything
  except jumping to the first transaction.

* it's now possible to split-view several transactions at the same
  time. Is there an easy way to unsplit them all? The old View ->
  Journal Style etc. buttons seem to be gone.

* pressing "return" while editing a transaction does not commit it,
  nor does there seem to be an easy way to commit a transaction (other
  than clicking on another one and answering the "Save the changed
  transaction?" dialog.

* Tabbing through a transaction also brings up the "Save the changed
  transaction?" dialog, even if the transaction has not been changed.

-- Peter