Similarities between CSV and QIF importers?

Albert Lash albert.lash at gmail.com
Tue May 29 10:31:43 EDT 2007

Hi Benny,

I just happen to have examined the code for Finance::IIF, and I'm surprised
at how similar the IIF format is to TSV (tab separated values).  If what I
think is correct, IIF is TSV. I realize you are talking about QIF, but since
you also mentioned CSV, it might be an easy addition to include IIF files as
well.

There are two perl modules which might be of use to you:
Finance::IIF (already mentioned)
Finance::QIF

They are available on Sourceforge and CPAN and are recently updated. I don't
think that Quickbooks can export everything to IIF format (ie transactions),
but the fact that it can export the chart of accounts makes it a valuable
conduit. Also worth considering,  I believe Intuit is dropping IIF in lieu
of qbXML in the latest version.

For what its worth, I've done some digging on the subject and came up with
these useful URLs:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gnucash-devel@gnucash.org/msg09127.html

http://lists.pdxlinux.org/pipermail/plug/2004-March/029973.html

Good luck!