Advanced portfolio report

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 27 11:01:34 EST 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 12:03:58AM -0500, Morrison J. Chang wrote:
> Andrew,

Hi, saw your question on irc, but you were gone.

> I noticed that you were working on the advanced portfolio report.
> I've also been working on it (on and off) and I think I've fixed the
> basis and splits issue.

I'm curious to see what you did. I've also finished that part of the
report... heh heh. In a nutshell: I've kept track of which splits have
already been taken care of in a list and then only used a split in the
basis calculation if we haven't seen it before. For the
splits/mergers, I just run through the basis-list and total up the
number of shares, work out the ratio and apply that ratio back through
the list. That way the basis get recalculated for every "lot" in the
basis list.

> Are you doing a total rewrite or patching the current report?

not really a total rewrite, but some signigicant chunks are redone.

> If you are interested, I can send you my patch and/or post it to devel
> list.

sure. I'm putting this email on the list. I'm just about done with
mine and I'll post it up there as well. We can have dueling reports!

> My version should handle splits and correctly calculate gain for
> avg-basis, fifo, and filo. The issue with what I have now is some
> rounding problems (probably due to using gnc-numeric) and I ignore
> transaction values from income accounts since I don't know if there are
> dividend or capital gain accounts.

There's really no way to tell about the income accounts,
unfortunately. At least if its reinvested. I suppose if its not
reinvested you could tell because its money in and money out, but no
shares touched. That's pretty tricky though.

THe rounding is easy. Look at bugzilla #343245, comment #2 attachment
includes code to fix the rounding errors. Pretty straightforward.

What are you doing with commissions/brokerage fees?

We should compare notes I think before either of us goes any farther
so that we don't continue to duplicate efforts.