improving import transaction matching

Tom Brown tomgcdev5 at thecap.org
Wed Nov 28 02:41:19 EST 2007

I manually entered receipts for a few months purchases and then
imported an OFX file from my credit card company. The process of
matching existing and imported splits seems like it has lots of room
for improvement.

As far as I can tell the matching mostly happens in
src/import-export/import-backend.c
A very simple first improvement is to use case insensitive comparisons
of the description and memo text fields. I'd also like to make these
comparisons give some prob points when the words in these fields are
reordered.

I can't find any obvious tests for this code. What is the normal way
you test this kind of code?

I've been building and playing with the trunk.

README.svn suggests I speak before diving into making changes so here
I am.

Tom

--
28 70 20 71 2C 65 29 61 9C B1 36 3D D4 69 CE 62 4A 22 8B 0E DC 3E